Wednesday, January 17, 2007

life in Dar Bouazza...






Organic produce, organic yogurt and even organic Moroccan style Kefir!

Trish took me to a local market that sells organic fruits and veggies. Apparently, the King of Morocco is quite a businessman and is cashing in on the organic frenzy in Europe. He has organic farms nearby the beach town I'm living in and while the majority is exported, sells a certain amount here at really cheap prices. The king is also into honey, organic dairy and a few other "higher" end food products. I was excited to find that I will be able to keep up with my fermented foods here- they have really nice yogurt, and yesterday I discovered that there is a fermented dairy product called Leben that is very similar to kefir. I got a banana flavored one and an organic plain carton. Yum!

I slept much better last night. It's amazing what a space heater and a couple glasses of red wine will do! I hung out in the evening with a teacher from the American School in Casablanca who lives next door. He's a surfer which is why he is living here-- unfortunately he recently messed up his ankle playing soccer and is in a cast, so I won't be getting any surfing lessons.

I'm finding that I need to do most of my yoga once the sun is shining on my patio, otherwise it is pretty cold with the ocean breeze. Here is a photo of me doing yoga and a few of my home here. But each day-- walks on the beach, yoga, pilates, reading, some work, playing with the kids and lots of yummy food and fruit!

Had pesto for dinner! And chocolate cake!

3 comments:

Marie said...

I had NO IDEA that you would travel so far for a birth, Chrisy :-) What a great opportunity for you to travel and see the world, while doing something profoundly wonderful for a new mom. YOU ROCK.

Miss you,
Marie

PS. Sadie, the walking talking wonder says HI

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this with us, Christy! You are transporting me there and it is wonderful. Love the photographs and your way with words. Sending heaps of good wishes on this adventure!

xoxo
shannon

Unknown said...

Hi are you still in morocco and would you be interested in or know of a Midwife in Tetoun that speaks English and is in to all natural birth. I am do with my 7th child in September and I am looking fore someone to help in my birth. My name is Roanne Buden and my email is roanne.buden@gmail.com .Please let me know.
Thank you
Roanne